Table of Contents
Good to Know (General Info)
- Airport Code: GCM
- If paying for anything in cash, nearly everyone accepts US dollars.
- If you have an unlocked phone, sim cards can be purchased for either Flow or Digicel. The shop immediately outside the airport sells Digicel sim cards.
- Caymanians drive on the left!
- Speed limits are in miles per hour, not kilometers!
- If you have mobile data, Waze works great for getting around.
Transportation on the island can get expensive fast if you don't rent a car. The bus is cheap, but limited and inconvenient. Cabs are very expensive, hard to get if you can't make calls from your phone, and are often upwards of $50 USD per ride. Car rentals on the other hand are very cheap, some as low as $15 USD per day. Gas is not cheap, but you won't need much!
We have used Thrifty (direct booking link) many times with good results. Our recommendation is to either book directly through them, or use a service like KAYAK. As of January 25th, the economy rental rate with Thrifty was approx $16/day.
Please also note: not all rentals are right-hand drive! Some vehicles, such as many Ford models and Jeep Wranglers use left-hand drive setups, like in the United States. If you recieve such a vehicle, be very mindful of entering roads (it can be difficult to see oncoming traffic) and remembering to keep left!
We recommend Airbnb for booking on the island. If you have never used Airbnb, please feel free to use this link to get $40 in credit when you sign up: https://www.airbnb.com/c/brendanc3358